RWBY: The RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWBY: The RPG

A role playing website based on Monty Oum's RWBY. Create your own character and weapon. Choose to protect the peace, or ruin it.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Discussion on Migrating to a New Website

Go down 
+18
Ragdollpuppy
Sumdumguy
njrk97
Qopster
Daemonblade
ecksdeeeXD
Queso
Yuki-Chan
AzureAzure
Kellenredx
JL
Dakir
Kaliot
Kawazoe
Icrus505
Wrecker
AkaiOtaku
Kooplah
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Would you like to migrate to a new forum host?
Yes! Look at all the benefits!
Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Vote_lcap85%Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 85% [ 51 ]
No! Look at all the downsides!
Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Vote_lcap15%Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 60

AuthorMessage
Kooplah
Head Admin

Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 2:18 pm

What would being a dedicated member entail in your vision? We won't be rewarding post count in any way, and are hesitant to have a reward system at all.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Ragdollpuppy

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Documented recognition of dedicated members would only serve to increase the egos of individuals given it. In my opinion this would cause a more extreme version of the same problem mentioned in the post count debate. It's not a bad idea in a competitive environment, but last time I checked that wasn't what this forum or most RP forums are about. Such a concept would most likely be counter-intuitive to the atmosphere most RP communities should have. Naturally this means that any reward system is probably a bad idea. I imagine some this is similar to the logic Kooplah was referencing when he said he and the other admins/modmins are hesitant to implement one (Though I really wouldn't know)

Making colors that match themes of the website however is a good idea, and anybody who has taken a decent art or design class of any kind can agree on that.

Rather than thinking of relatively unimportant topics such as post counts and reward systems we should be focusing on creating an intuitive and comfortable environment. For example we could talk about a group system, which appears to already exist but seeing as how I'm not in a Team I wouldn't know what it is lacking but I imagine it is. (perhaps Team conference chats? Kind of like guild chats in videogames. Or exclusive forums.) Or possibly a stat system to further cement differences/strengths/weaknesses to reference as a guide line and bring an end to possible out-of-RP conflict. I personally have had most of my experience with stated systems offline and online, yes in forums, and I find it to be far more smooth and easy to deal with.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 5:49 am

One thing that I have seen on other forums I think we should look into is an infraction system. Simply put, it's a counter for an account that's a visual warning for violations. As explained by the forum rules of TFW2005.com in section 13,
Quote :
If you break one of the above rules you may receive a Warning or Infraction. A Warning is generally given for a minor first offense. A warning is an official reminder to follow the rules. After a Warning, or for a more severe offense you will receive an Infraction.

3 Infractions = A Temporary One Week Ban
5 Infractions = A Permanent Ban

If you do not agree with a warning or infraction, you should first address the issue with the moderator who issued the warning / infraction. If you are still not happy, the chain of command goes moderator - super moderator - admin. If you are rude when complaining about a warning or infraction, do not expect our position to change.

Users on tfw2005 can see on their profile the amount of violations that they had and when they expire (yes, those are mine. I need to give an example, anyways). If RWBY RPG gets something similar to this, I believe we would have a decrease in rule breaking. Simple comments in the chat saying "warning : blah blah blah" may not be enough to stop people.

Last edited by Wrecker on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JL

JL

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 8:53 am

Agree to the above.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/finaldetermination
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 12:47 am

It's been over a month since anyone commented on this thread. Is there any update on the search for a new site? I'd like to know, since I'm out of the loop with my "no-chatbox" exile/ban. Hell, I didn't know about the whole "demote" thing that happened last week until yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Kooplah
Head Admin
Kooplah

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 9:23 am

Currently there is no change. The migration would be a massive amount of work for everyone, and we are reluctant to do it.
Back to top Go down
Dakir

Dakir

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 12:26 pm

If it's extra work that you're worried about, why not get some of us to help with the move? I'm sure we'd be more than willing to do so.
Back to top Go down
Kooplah
Head Admin
Kooplah

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 4:17 pm

It wouldn't be that so much, as it would be coming up with ways to preserve everyone's accounts and names. If we transferred, everyone would have to recreate their own account and somehow verify them so people aren't stealing names, etc. Even if we trusted everyone with it, it's still a frustrating time for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Kaliot
Timeline Minion
Kaliot

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 pm

We/you could try and get everyone to give you our emails and then compile a list matching usernames and emails. For extra safety, you could try having people register in groups so everything is (theoretically) easier to monitor though this would take longer.
Back to top Go down
Dakir

Dakir

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 8:34 pm

I think the email matching would be a good idea, because I was worried about people possibly stealing names during the switch.
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 12:16 am

Although I like Kaliot's "Migrate in groups" idea, email matching is not something I would like to do. Instead, I propose an administrator sending a user a specific word through PM, then on the new site, the location of which will not be known to anyone else until the administrators allow it, the user will make their new account and will have their name verified on there through the PM passcode.

Might not be the best idea, however, since it takes some effort in order to do that.
Back to top Go down
Kooplah
Head Admin
Kooplah

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 12:17 am

That is the idea I had, Wrecker, as a confirmation via code. However, sending a unique code to every member then awaiting their reply would be... long winded. I'm leaving this chat open however, in case we decide to move still. It is still up for debate.
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 12:26 am

Speaking of chat, though, if we do move, will people like me not be allowed on the new chatbox if there is one? And will you be looking into an infraction system like the one I posted on the previous page?
Back to top Go down
Vox

Vox

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 12:19 am

where doing it man

where MAKING THIS HAPEN

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 3:11 am

Vox wrote:
where doing it man

where MAKING THIS HAPEN

Spoiler:

I think we need a rule that makes all discussion posts actually contribute to the topic...

Anyways, if the staff ever begins the process migration, I hope they select a good team of non-staff members to help out. Can't have anyone flaking out.

Another idea to consider is simply choosing a new site and start new threads there, while making links to profiles and whatnot here so not everything needs to be moved.
Back to top Go down
Vox

Vox

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 3:42 am

Not sure if you're being intentionally thick-headed or not...

>Strongly imply that the topic of a discussion is transpiring through the use of a meme.
>Get called out for supposedly not contributing to the discussion.
>In a post that talks about non-staff contributing, which follows an implication of knowing something the average user does not ahead of time.
>Vox doesn't work here anymore.

Wut?

Read between the lines. Statements don't exist in a vacuum.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Seiryuu24
Seiryuu24

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 7:54 pm

First of all, I'm not sure how mentioning the new location is currently being constructed is not contributing to the discussion.

Secondly, I doubt we will need to bring anyone in to transfer things since they have programs to do that for us.

Lastly, regarding the insinuation the staff is lazy and or incompetent. Go **** yourself.

I should also take this opportunity to inform you both that all bans and warnings in effect at the time of migration will carry over to the new site.
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2014 12:26 am

Thank you for finally answering what I asked over two weeks ago. I'd still like to see an infraction system I mentioned on the other page be addressed, though.
Back to top Go down
Kooplah
Head Admin
Kooplah

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2014 2:28 am

Our infraction system is being remade. No details as of yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussion on Migrating to a New Website
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3