RWBY: The RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWBY: The RPG

A role playing website based on Monty Oum's RWBY. Create your own character and weapon. Choose to protect the peace, or ruin it.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Discussion on Migrating to a New Website

Go down 
+18
Ragdollpuppy
Sumdumguy
njrk97
Qopster
Daemonblade
ecksdeeeXD
Queso
Yuki-Chan
AzureAzure
Kellenredx
JL
Dakir
Kaliot
Kawazoe
Icrus505
Wrecker
AkaiOtaku
Kooplah
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Would you like to migrate to a new forum host?
Yes! Look at all the benefits!
Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Vote_lcap85%Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 85% [ 51 ]
No! Look at all the downsides!
Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 60

AuthorMessage
Kooplah
Head Admin

Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 12:19 am

Eh... I dunno Yuki. Details such as that won't be known until we decide where we'll be setting up and with what. But we'll see!
Back to top Go down
Queso

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 2:54 am

Wrecker wrote:
I think we're gonna have to come up with something in order to ensure no one "steals" another user's character or impersonates another user.

We could assign each account on here a number or phrase or something similar which only the account holder will know, then when the new account is made on the new site we could verify it against the number/phrase thing to check if it's really them.

I believe that changing sites would be a good idea, it will take time and effort now, but in the long run, things will be simpler and easier meaning it will pay off. Also, if we wait longer due to people worrying about the effort of site changing, then more effort will be needed in moving sites eventually.

For ideas about what site to change to, we always have wikis. The wiki page can be the thread location and the characters RP in the comments section for that page. I used to be part of a Harry Potter roleplay wiki site, this worked quite well, we even had personalized text boxes for comments which you could change depending on the character.

Also, I enjoy... "stuff".
Back to top Go down
ecksdeeeXD

ecksdeeeXD

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 4:00 am

The only problem I have with the migration is the transfer of data and the over pg-13 stuff. I have a preeeeeetty bad feeling of what's gonna happen without it so I'm all for an over pg-13 section if it's needed. Other than that, I'm for it.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Qopster

Qopster

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 6:04 am

Why don't you just make it so that anybody who wants a non PG-13 forum discussion made, has to have either an ! infront of it or a NSFW tag? That way, you know what you're looking for! :3
Back to top Go down
Queso

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 6:23 am

Probably be best just to have a SFW section and a NSFW one, that's what most of my other RPG sites do.
Back to top Go down
njrk97

njrk97

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 8:10 am

Yeah i kinda against this, honestly the forum serves its purpose well enough how it is, well ill let thew sum up my opinion on this https://youtu.be/zEPy8d095RQ?t=2m49s (granted though youtube embedding on here with it starting at a certain time is impossible)

but yeah so overall i don't think it worth the trouble, especially since you dont even know what place your going to migrate it too. I mean really!? Why are you posting this up now if you don't even have info about what it would change to so that people can make informed decision about it, may just be me but i think its kinda pointless asking us this without any information apart from "Do you want us to move?"

also with the PG rule why not just have it capped on the sex crap like keep it in Universe (no ones going to be swearing every two words in the show, so why would you have that here.Just keep it on the same rating as the show (Violence,some gore, limited swearing,no sex))
Back to top Go down
Sumdumguy

Sumdumguy

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 8:24 am

List the pros and cons of adding a non PG-13 subforum. If anything the pros themselves (more detailed fades and possibly more violent scenes) are the cons, and then there are still more cons. It's just not a good idea. I personally think the PG-13 is fine the way it is, I haven't experienced problems. Screwing with the rating is just gonna cause more problems than anything. It's not a good idea.

Aside from that, I'm all for a move.

njrk97:

Would you rather they keep the crappy limited forumotion forum, or find ANYTHING that's better? They had the idea of moving, and they are researching the BEST place they think we could move to. It'll allow more freedom to do even more with the site AND will probably allow us a few new things, like maybe a Cbox that doesn't suck all the balls.
Back to top Go down
JL

JL

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 8:51 am

Yuki-Chan wrote:

Though... Would we get to keep our post counts (Have them edited in I guess?), just a little thing but it would make losing the posts and stuff more tolerable
pls yes

Also, make sure we migrate to somewhere where there's a chatbox....Surprised

That thing is godlike
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/finaldetermination
Kooplah
Head Admin
Kooplah

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 10:04 am

njrk97 wrote:
but yeah so overall i don't think it worth the trouble, especially since you dont even know what place your going to migrate it too. I mean really!? Why are you posting this up now if you don't even have info about what it would change to so that people can make informed decision about it, may just be me but i think its kinda pointless asking us this without any information apart from "Do you want us to move?"

The part we don't know is which host we'll be going to use. We'll be using a customized phpBB board on the site, so we really can't tell you what its going to be like yet because we haven't designed it, and nobody is going to take the time fixing up the website so we can then ask if we wanna move.
Back to top Go down
Ragdollpuppy

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Speaking as someone who has done forum migrations before (as an admin) I can see why this might be necessary, and how it can be beneficial. Mind you I've only led small forums before for tabletop/writing circle purposes mainly.

So I've never done anything of this magnitude, but I digress. If you're wondering which topics to transfer the answer is simple: the RULES, templates(term used lightly), places, and those who want their topics transferred must transfer it themselves. In other words those who want to keep a topic going/for reference it's either the original posters responsibility or one of the active followers responsibility, not an admin/modmins (if it doesn't directly involve them talk about transferring it amongst yourselves). This same kind of rule would obviously also apply to characters and teams.

As for the PG-13 question, I think the best way to put it is upgrade to NC-17. To define that a bit clearer: If you don't believe it fits into a PG-13 setting, but you also don't believe it warrants an R-rated setting this is a good descriptor. Speaking as someone who's first and longest text RP experience was on a site filled with late-teen to early 30 year olds acting like sex crazed hormonal (and rather ill-mannered) teenagers I whole-heartedly sympathize with the desire to define the rating clearly. That being said with either PG-13 or NC-17 it's obviously not to much to ask anyone to put in an NSFW before posting questionable content.

I'd also like to add that keeping post counts is highly unnecessary on a free site, other then for what I can only assume is people wanting to ****-measure when someone new joins the site, and nobody likes that.

I would post suggestions on what could be added to the RP/website experience here, but this really isn't a topic for that.
Back to top Go down
Dakir

Dakir

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Daemonblade wrote:

I think Ragdoll might be onto something though with regards to there being no need for post counts in the first place. Theoretically we should know who the modmins are, and we should know who the more active users are simply because we see them more often, so having post counts to prove it might be a little redundant. I know I don't need to check someone's post count to tell if they're one of the most active members simply because of this reason- if they really are that active I'll have noticed this myself anyway.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to not having post counts, as that seems to be something that some users are concerned with more over having good quality posts.
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 4:27 pm

Dakir wrote:
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to not having post counts, as that seems to be something that some users are concerned with more over having good quality posts.

Daemonblade wrote:
Yeah, I've noticed that too. It never ceases to annoy me when I notice people writing one sentence posts again and again in a single thread. It might be nothing to do with post counts, but it seems rather suspicious if you ask me. Which you don't need to. Because I've just told you.

I'll be honest, I only have this high amount of posts because of the Sp4m forum. I'm sure if those posts were actually deleted instead of hidden, then I'd be in the 400s. The post counter only exists to brag, and we shouldn't be doing that in the first place (this coming from the guy with 700+ sp4m posts. Ironic, huh?).

Daemonblade wrote:
Anyway, this second point has nothing to do with post counts. Normally I'd set up a new thread in the suggestions/complaints forum but since we appear to be moving sites soon I might as well ask here. When we move to a new site, can we get rid of text colours that blend in with the background? That way there's no possibility for people to accidentally make things hard for everyone else. I know that I used to do it before I knew better, but I'm always amazed by how many people don't realise that writing in dark red, blue, dark blue, and black is a bad idea.

I agree with this statement. Although having a forum with a dark background is helpful with reading in the dark, having uber-dark text that's difficult to read is not a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 8:07 pm

Color will always be a problem, no matter what background you use.
You choose a white background and someone that wants lighter colors, like yellow or cyan will be shiddoutta luck instead. Bottom line is most of us have young eyes or glasses to compensate. Sure it's harder to read than a red text on black background, but those of us (I myself am guilty of it) who use a text color that's harder to read can just change the color to a minor color on the character. No point in changing the background color for the reason of text color.
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 5:18 am

As to the data moving gubbins, maybe a solution would be to appoint temporary mods/mins or something similar to help with the transfer.
Although, that adds the trouble of selecting people you guys trust to do so, but possible way to move more stuff?
Back to top Go down
Queso

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 5:47 am

They wouldn't really need to give them mod status to do so, that would just be OP and need nerf.
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 5:49 am

@Queso
I'm clearly demonstrating my knowledge of how computers work here, aren't I? Razz
Basic point is still "Enlist peeps to help with data moving"
Back to top Go down
JL

JL

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 9:21 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
Color will always be a problem, no matter what background you use.
You choose a white background and someone that wants lighter colors, like yellow or cyan will be shiddoutta luck instead. Bottom line is most of us have young eyes or glasses to compensate. Sure it's harder to read than a red text on black background, but those of us (I myself am guilty of it) who use a text color that's harder to read can just change the color to a minor color on the character. No point in changing the background color for the reason of text color.

There are clever people on these forums, me not included, so I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to cook up different usable themes within the forums. Naturally, problems would still arise, but in the end it's a problem they kinda chose for themselves, and as such they'll probably have to end up coping for it themselves.

Zou Sama wrote:
@Queso
I'm clearly demonstrating my knowledge of how computers work here, aren't I? Razz
Basic point is still "Enlist peeps to help with data moving"
AKA people who can copy and paste for hours, pretty much.

Quote :
Post count things
Some people aren't here right now, or simply can't post much due to life, but were very dedicated. It would suck if there was a sudden hard reset to 0 all over again. This'll probably hit harder against those who simply can't be as active for multiple factors.

Also there's the argument of quality and quantity posts yadeeyadeeya but that's another argument I'd prefer in another thread.
Back to top Go down
Ragdollpuppy

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 1:41 pm

I know it is not quite my place to say this, but I don't believe post counts are the main topic of this discussion, while I'll admit it is one in need of review. I'd like to point out that in my original post I didn't intend to imply a complete removal of a post counter (although I have to agree with Daemons logic)

As for the quality vs. quantity argument I will say that length or amount of posts doesn't matter as much as relevance, detail, and on occasion conciseness. These are sentiments I believe all people should carry on in both this forum and the next, and really all.
Back to top Go down
Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 2:26 pm

Why are you guys even making a big deal about post counts? I don't think any better of somebody with a high amount of posts or anything.
People look to admins for help most of the time, not someone who has a higher number under their profile name than the next guy. Maybe some people look up to those who have been here longer but, when I talk to someone, they can be horribly wrong about something and have the highest post number I've ever seen and that wouldn't make them any less right about anything to me.
Just relax about the unimportant stuff like that. If we get a website that solves that issue, fine. If we don't, who cares?
Back to top Go down
JL

JL

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 9:50 am

Daemonblade wrote:
If Anyone has anything else to say, they can do so here.

ty.

Anyways, I'm sure we all see that our colors have been turned to a stale and ugly green. While I'm perfectly fine with the change of the system (But not that of the color >.<) I was wondering about how said system would translate in the migration should the migration happen. Would we keep it? Add to it?

Personally, I would suggest we keep it, but change up the colors in accordance to the new theme. Another thing I would suggest (And personally, I kinda see this as an alternative to post count) would be to add new colors that would be for different things, the most prominent being dedication. I'd be very happy to see a group for Dedicated Members.
Back to top Go down
Kooplah
Head Admin
Kooplah

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 2:18 pm

What would being a dedicated member entail in your vision? We won't be rewarding post count in any way, and are hesitant to have a reward system at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on Migrating to a New Website   Discussion on Migrating to a New Website - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussion on Migrating to a New Website
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next