RWBY: The RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWBY: The RPG

A role playing website based on Monty Oum's RWBY. Create your own character and weapon. Choose to protect the peace, or ruin it.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

**Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**

Go down 
+6
Kooplah
aonly9470
Wrecker
Dakir
Queso
SentientSnake
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DrGustave

**Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Well like said before, it is the manifestation of the soul. So I would think of it similar to how the body handles oxygen. Is there very very little oxygen? You pass out. IS there is no oxygen? You die. Is there ~10% aura? Pass out. 0% Aura? Death. Again that's how I think of it.
Back to top Go down
SilverJian

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 6:05 pm

DrGustave wrote:
Well like said before, it is the manifestation of the soul. So I would think of it similar to how the body handles oxygen. Is there very very little oxygen? You pass out. IS there is no oxygen? You die. Is there ~10% aura? Pass out. 0% Aura? Death. Again that's how I think of it.
I agree with Gus here. I view it as something similar to Chakra from Naruto of Spiritual Pressure from Bleach. It's an internal driving force tied to your life force and if drained to 0 it would cause death.
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 6:47 pm

My "aura-sensitive" theory comes from Star Wars, obviously based on The Force. You don't see stormtroopers Force-choking everyone, and you don't see Torchwick grunts with super-speed.
Back to top Go down
Kaliot
Timeline Minion
Kaliot

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 1:53 am

The thing with auras being tied to life is that Grimm are living beings that don't have souls and thus no auras. Because of this, I don't think 0% aura should result in death but maybe just a loss of consciousness.

With that said, Wrecker's aura-sensitive theory makes the most sense to me.
Back to top Go down
aonly9470

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 3:23 am

Pyhrra quotes: "Aura is the manifestation of our souls." that means that it is what peoples souls appear when they are affecting the world. the fact of usage of the soul energy could entirely depend on the person's will, personality, acceptance of self or a bunch of other factors. but I son't believe that someone can use up their soul unless in an extreme situation (sks. man saving his wife
Back to top Go down
Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 2:47 pm

I agree that using too much would make one pass out. Maybe CoG can't access aura because aura represents all that is 'of the light.' Maybe the grimm simply have no souls. It would make sense why they attack humans and the faunus.
Back to top Go down
aonly9470

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 5:52 am

how about we make it that the anount of ones soul a person can use depends on their will, meaning that only in certain situations when they are really convicted on something can they use up their whole soul
Back to top Go down
Queso

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 7:19 am

Like Wrecker said, I believe some people people are more 'aura sensitive' meaning that they have more aura or are more effective with it, similar to how some people are physically stronger than others or how some mages/magic users simply have more magical energy or more powerful magic than other magic users. However, this can be affected by training as you can train to be physically stronger so I believe aura works in a similar way, you can train to be more effective with aura.

I also believe aura works in a similar way to chemical energy in your body, using it makes you tired, using too much will make you pass out. As aura doesn't control any vital organs, I don't think it would kill you if you run out of aura, you would just be extremely tired/passed out and out of aura to power your semblance.
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 12:51 pm

aonly9470 wrote:
how about we make it that the anount of ones soul a person can use depends on their will, meaning that only in certain situations when they are really convicted on something can they use up their whole soul

What you're suggesting is called "Burning Justice." To quote where I first read the name, and more,

In several anime, for lack of a better term, "Burning Justice" refers to the mysterious power conveyed on characters by positive psychic reinforcement—that is, by belief, either from the subject's own self-confidence and righteous indignation, characters screaming at the top of their lungs, or the championing power of an adoring crowd cheering them on, or some other ambient psychic effect. The actual mechanism by which the beliefs are transmitted and converted into energy are unclear, and are often inconsistent between circumstances. Far from a simple emotional state, when a character is endowed with "Burning Justice", they often show undeniable physical alterations—e.g., surrounded by a flare of firery aura, hair color changes, new wardrobe (looking at Super Sayian level 4, here), or abilities they possess at no other time—which in turn can include powers that are all but miraculous, such as repairing grievous bodily injury, raising the dead, or temporarily suspending the laws of thermodynamics."

As it's one of the most ridiculous and inconsistent thing I have ever seen on TV, I am hesitant to apply the concept of "Burning Justice" to aura.

Now, as for my aura-sensitive idea, that was loosely based on Star Wars and the Force. As explained in the first episode (remind me to never watch that again >_>)  Midichoreans were the cause of everyone jedi, sith, and all other force user's abilities, which was really a shitty explanation for it. I'll hold out to see what Miles and Kerry write up for aura's mechanisms.

Also, can someone make a Dust Discussion thread?
Back to top Go down
aonly9470

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 10:47 pm

I would try o explain how it differs and has more adverse effects than the burning justice, mainly because it dictates the amount you can use not the amount you use at once. but I won't get you to understand
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 11:17 pm

aonly9470 wrote:
I would try o explain how it differs and has more adverse effects than the burning justice, mainly because it dictates the amount you can use not the amount you use at once. but I won't get you to understand

Try me. This is the Aura Discussion thread, after all.
Back to top Go down
aonly9470

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 12:14 am

okay. I was trying to explain that your will dictates the amount of your soul can be tapped. so the more convicted you are to a task, the more aura you can tap. so it is a good failsafe for being able to run out of aura and not die but it can have negative effects on characters. like if a character felt some kind of loss, unless they became more convicted to a task because of it, they will be able to use less aura than normal. essentially. I was addressing aura reserves and the death rule with my will theory. Aura growth, strength would still be up for debate if this theory became cannon
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 2:30 am

All good points, aonly. However, I've got something else I need to discuss a bit pertaining to Aura.

Back in about December or January, I asked Kooplah about how Aura could be measured and the healing properties pertaining to it. The discussion went like this :

[23:10:12] Wrecker : Oy, Koop. I have an idea.
[23:10:24] @ Kooplah : Go on...
[23:10:30] Wrecker : Can I make Hunter know how to be an Aura healer? Explanation will be that his high school taught students how to use their aura to heal others. He can use that to do some good.
[23:12:00] @ Kooplah : Sure. However I will say that I've been operating on the basis that aura healing is REALLY REALLY hard. So you can't do things like cure cancer and mend critical damage
[23:12:31] @ Kooplah : This is for things like healing OTHERS though
[23:12:46] @ Kooplah : Healing yourself is different and easier. Healing another person with your own aura is hard.
[23:12:52] @ Kooplah : Does that sound fair you think?
[23:14:38] @ Kooplah : It should be limited to like, healing minor wounds/stabilizing people
[23:14:48] @ Kooplah : And it should also be very taxing on the user.
[23:14:57] @ Kooplah : But other than that, go for it.
[23:15:26] Wrecker : Understood.
[23:15:42] @ Kooplah : In general, I was thinking its something like 10:1 healing others, but 10:6 or so for healing yourself
[23:15:52] @ Kooplah : To demonstrate how much less efficient it is
[23:16:04] Wrecker : Well, now Hunter's a healer.
[23:16:22] Wrecker : Gotta save this to Google Docs so people won't question me all the time...
[23:16:46] @ Kooplah : Aura healing is hard unless its your semblance.
[23:16:55] @ Kooplah : Because if EVERYONE has an aura, then everyone can heal. And that's bogus
[23:17:11] @ Kooplah : And I may change my mind later Wrecker.

And this is what I wrote in the profile about my character's "skill"

Character Profile under 'History' wrote:
At Flare Hall, he became skilled in the art of fighting ... and learned some Aura healing skills. By giving up their own Aura, a healer could transfer their own life force into those who were injured. This wasn't without limits, however. One could not cure cancer or reattach limbs, but they could cauterize wounds and make blood clot faster.

Character Profile under 'Semblance' wrote:
He was also learning how to heal others' wounds using his own Aura at Flare Hall, which drains his aura heavily, resulting in him hardly using it. It works by having him give up a part of his own Aura for the patient. Limited to non-major wounds (no dismembered limbs, no ruptured lungs, no stabbed hearts, etc).

His profile on the new site goes on to state his inability to heal ruptured lungs and the like are due to the course being canceled and him being unable to complete the training. However, now that we have began moving sites, and some of us also having to be re-approved, this topic has been brought back up for discussion, and I want to know what others would say. Can Aura be transferred between everyone, or only a skill a select few who know how to do the act? From my point of view, it's not a Semblance ability others are born with, it's an Aura skill that was taught, just like how Phyrra had used her Aura to unlock Jaune's.
Back to top Go down
Dakir

Dakir

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 7:05 am

Seeing as "aura is the manifestation of the soul" I think it would be strange to be able to essentially transfer your soul to another person. That being said, I think that someone would be able to heal others using their aura. I think it should be said that it is impossible to "recharge" someone else's aura using your own, otherwise it seems like some really freaky personality crap would happen. Healing, however, is a different matter. Because healing requires only the temporary transfer of aura, after which it is withdrawn, I think that should be possible.
Back to top Go down
aonly9470

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2014 2:19 am

with the aura "transfer" thing, you could say that your aura reserves and the amount of aura you have depends on the strength of your soul and that is decreased when you use your aura. this would mean that you are giving others your soul's strength
Back to top Go down
Kooplah
Head Admin
Kooplah

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2014 2:08 pm

This discussion has been moved to the new site. http://www.rwbyfanon.com/rwby-rpg/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=178
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

**Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next