RWBY: The RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWBY: The RPG

A role playing website based on Monty Oum's RWBY. Create your own character and weapon. Choose to protect the peace, or ruin it.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

**Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**

Go down 
+6
Kooplah
aonly9470
Wrecker
Dakir
Queso
SentientSnake
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SentientSnake
SentientSnake

**Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Empty
PostSubject: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi everyone! Aura's pretty cool, right? Here's what's not cool about it: We don't know the first thing about it, and things are getting difficult for the staff to judge what semblances should be and should not be allowed. So here's what's going to happen! Effective sometime, a set of rules and definitions of aura are being put up that will be considered canon on the site. All new profiles will have to abide by these rules and use them to mechanically explain the character's semblance! Old profiles will likely be grandfathered in, unless of course people are willing to aid the staff in a huge operation of looking over and potentially re-approving a massive amount of profiles.

So here's what we know about aura.
- Aura is a quantifiable form of energy.
- Aura is found in all animals except creatures of grimm.
- Aura is a manifestation of an individual's soul.
- A semblance is a power that reflects the individual's personality.
- Every human has a semblance.
- Aura can be controlled and harnessed with a semblance.
- Semblances are powered by aura.
- Aura can be given a physical form through a semblance.
- Aura can be expelled with a semblance.
- Aura can heal and shield (It is speculated that this is done without a semblance and occurs in aura using individuals universally, though in varying amounts and strengths.)
- Aura can be speculated to alert those sensitive to it of danger.
- Aura can be manipulated as an entity.
- Aura can change its physical properties.
- Aura can change the physical properties of other entities and objects.
- Aura can become different forms of energy.
- Aura is a person's soul, it exists as an entity and can be detected.

If you have anything to add/edit/critique, say it here! Feedback is very appreciated, we want to make this work as well as possible, so if you have something to add, say it! Remember, this won't happen until it's perfect, so help make it perfect!
Back to top Go down
Queso

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 4:43 pm

The fact that aura does not create energy (because this is impossible), it uses chemical energy from the user's body (aka, it tires them out) would be good to add.
Back to top Go down
Dakir

Dakir

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2014 3:45 pm

I agree with the above, and it might be good to add that some people have more or less aura than others.
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 2:26 am

Jaune needed his aura to be unlocked in order to use it, and he still didn't know how to control it.

Also, I believe that some people are more aura-sensitive than others. For example, the Torchwick gang and the White Fang grunts don't seem to be able to use their abilities as well as others.
Back to top Go down
Queso

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 11:33 am

^
Back to top Go down
aonly9470

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 6:46 pm

would there be aura "overload"? (best word for it) like times when the person uses far more aura than their limit? (aka. yang in yellow trailer when she has a lock of her hair ripped out by junior)
Back to top Go down
Kooplah
Head Admin
Kooplah

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 9:40 pm

Since we aren't sure what Yang's semblance is, it may just be that her semblance is her berserker state when her hair is damaged, as seen in the scene you mentioned. I would say that there isn't an 'overload' type thing, since if you have 100 points of aura, you can't use 110 points worth of power, because you don't have that much.
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 10:34 pm

There may be aura overtax, though. Remember in episode 8,after Weiss makes all those glyphs up the cliff, we get a glimpse of her staggering from making so damn many.
Back to top Go down
DrGustave
DrGustave

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 am

As said by Pyyrah, aura is the manifestation of the soul. Using your semblance to the very brink or near brink of its power, hell using it at all really, would tire out the user. An example would be the example above or even when Pyyrah used her magnetism to save Jaune. Afterward she was seemingly a bit tired. Though a semblance like magnetism may just be a semblance that requires more aura than most to use.
Back to top Go down
Kooplah
Head Admin
Kooplah

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 1:16 pm

GUS. Pyrrha. P Y R, R H A. Pyrrha.
Back to top Go down
DrGustave
DrGustave

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 1:23 pm

I SPELL THE NAME LIKE I PLEASE. JUST LIKE FAUNAS. Speaking of, would they have more or less aura than humans? I don't see any CURRENT reasons for it to be true but I could see it being a thing Monty could introduce
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 1:30 pm

DrGustave wrote:
As said by Pyyrah, aura is the manifestation of the soul. Using your semblance to the very brink or near brink of its power, hell using it at all really, would tire out the user. An example would be the example above or even when Pyyrah used her magnetism to save Jaune. Afterward she was seemingly a bit tired. Though a semblance like magnetism may just be a semblance that requires more aura than most to use.

Kooplah wrote:
GUS. Pyrrha. P Y R, R H A. Pyrrha.

Uh huh... Anyways, this is the "poles" scene from episode 14 : https://youtu.be/PS9huFMmSoc?t=3m

I see no sign of being tired from Pyrrah, just smiles. This goes back to what I said earlier, about being more "aura-sensitive" than others. Some people have higher levels of aura within them, while others do not.

DrGustave wrote:
I SPELL THE NAME LIKE I PLEASE. JUST LIKE FAUNAS. Speaking of, would they have more or less aura than humans? I don't see any CURRENT reasons for it to be true but I could see it being a thing Monty could introduce

Well, remember that Adam Taurus' semblance involved absorbing an energy beam and using it to one-hit-kill the spider-walker, so that's probably not true. Also, the Faunus already have the advantage of heightened nightvision compared to Humans, and possibly hearing/smell (just speculating). I would like to see some differences between the two races.
Back to top Go down
Kaliot
Timeline Minion
Kaliot

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Is there any consensus on what happens when a person's aura hits zero?
Back to top Go down
DrGustave
DrGustave

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Well like said before, it is the manifestation of the soul. So I would think of it similar to how the body handles oxygen. Is there very very little oxygen? You pass out. IS there is no oxygen? You die. Is there ~10% aura? Pass out. 0% Aura? Death. Again that's how I think of it.
Back to top Go down
SilverJian

SilverJian

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 6:05 pm

DrGustave wrote:
Well like said before, it is the manifestation of the soul. So I would think of it similar to how the body handles oxygen. Is there very very little oxygen? You pass out. IS there is no oxygen? You die. Is there ~10% aura? Pass out. 0% Aura? Death. Again that's how I think of it.
I agree with Gus here. I view it as something similar to Chakra from Naruto of Spiritual Pressure from Bleach. It's an internal driving force tied to your life force and if drained to 0 it would cause death.
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 6:47 pm

My "aura-sensitive" theory comes from Star Wars, obviously based on The Force. You don't see stormtroopers Force-choking everyone, and you don't see Torchwick grunts with super-speed.
Back to top Go down
Kaliot
Timeline Minion
Kaliot

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 1:53 am

The thing with auras being tied to life is that Grimm are living beings that don't have souls and thus no auras. Because of this, I don't think 0% aura should result in death but maybe just a loss of consciousness.

With that said, Wrecker's aura-sensitive theory makes the most sense to me.
Back to top Go down
aonly9470

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 3:23 am

Pyhrra quotes: "Aura is the manifestation of our souls." that means that it is what peoples souls appear when they are affecting the world. the fact of usage of the soul energy could entirely depend on the person's will, personality, acceptance of self or a bunch of other factors. but I son't believe that someone can use up their soul unless in an extreme situation (sks. man saving his wife
Back to top Go down
Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 2:47 pm

I agree that using too much would make one pass out. Maybe CoG can't access aura because aura represents all that is 'of the light.' Maybe the grimm simply have no souls. It would make sense why they attack humans and the faunus.
Back to top Go down
aonly9470

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 5:52 am

how about we make it that the anount of ones soul a person can use depends on their will, meaning that only in certain situations when they are really convicted on something can they use up their whole soul
Back to top Go down
Queso

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 7:19 am

Like Wrecker said, I believe some people people are more 'aura sensitive' meaning that they have more aura or are more effective with it, similar to how some people are physically stronger than others or how some mages/magic users simply have more magical energy or more powerful magic than other magic users. However, this can be affected by training as you can train to be physically stronger so I believe aura works in a similar way, you can train to be more effective with aura.

I also believe aura works in a similar way to chemical energy in your body, using it makes you tired, using too much will make you pass out. As aura doesn't control any vital organs, I don't think it would kill you if you run out of aura, you would just be extremely tired/passed out and out of aura to power your semblance.
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 12:51 pm

aonly9470 wrote:
how about we make it that the anount of ones soul a person can use depends on their will, meaning that only in certain situations when they are really convicted on something can they use up their whole soul

What you're suggesting is called "Burning Justice." To quote where I first read the name, and more,

In several anime, for lack of a better term, "Burning Justice" refers to the mysterious power conveyed on characters by positive psychic reinforcement—that is, by belief, either from the subject's own self-confidence and righteous indignation, characters screaming at the top of their lungs, or the championing power of an adoring crowd cheering them on, or some other ambient psychic effect. The actual mechanism by which the beliefs are transmitted and converted into energy are unclear, and are often inconsistent between circumstances. Far from a simple emotional state, when a character is endowed with "Burning Justice", they often show undeniable physical alterations—e.g., surrounded by a flare of firery aura, hair color changes, new wardrobe (looking at Super Sayian level 4, here), or abilities they possess at no other time—which in turn can include powers that are all but miraculous, such as repairing grievous bodily injury, raising the dead, or temporarily suspending the laws of thermodynamics."

As it's one of the most ridiculous and inconsistent thing I have ever seen on TV, I am hesitant to apply the concept of "Burning Justice" to aura.

Now, as for my aura-sensitive idea, that was loosely based on Star Wars and the Force. As explained in the first episode (remind me to never watch that again >_>)  Midichoreans were the cause of everyone jedi, sith, and all other force user's abilities, which was really a shitty explanation for it. I'll hold out to see what Miles and Kerry write up for aura's mechanisms.

Also, can someone make a Dust Discussion thread?
Back to top Go down
aonly9470

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 10:47 pm

I would try o explain how it differs and has more adverse effects than the burning justice, mainly because it dictates the amount you can use not the amount you use at once. but I won't get you to understand
Back to top Go down
Wrecker
Voice Claim Minion
Wrecker

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 11:17 pm

aonly9470 wrote:
I would try o explain how it differs and has more adverse effects than the burning justice, mainly because it dictates the amount you can use not the amount you use at once. but I won't get you to understand

Try me. This is the Aura Discussion thread, after all.
Back to top Go down
aonly9470

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 12:14 am

okay. I was trying to explain that your will dictates the amount of your soul can be tapped. so the more convicted you are to a task, the more aura you can tap. so it is a good failsafe for being able to run out of aura and not die but it can have negative effects on characters. like if a character felt some kind of loss, unless they became more convicted to a task because of it, they will be able to use less aura than normal. essentially. I was addressing aura reserves and the death rule with my will theory. Aura growth, strength would still be up for debate if this theory became cannon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**   **Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future** Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

**Aura and Semblances, Some Rules For the Future**
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next