RWBY: The RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWBY: The RPG

A role playing website based on Monty Oum's RWBY. Create your own character and weapon. Choose to protect the peace, or ruin it.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Empty
PostSubject: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 11:53 am

Melissa lay on a grassy field near the main courtyard of Beacon Academy, holding a textbook in her hand, with several more right next to her. She looked to be studying the textbook intently, her focus unwavering. However, if one studied her closely, they would realize that she hadn't turned a page in the half hour that she'd been in that position. Moreover, if one got closer and looked behind the book, they would discover she was playing video games, and merely pretending to study to keep up appearances with any nearby teachers.

Despite having a large amount of studying to do, Melissa was playing games (Unsurprisingly)! Sure, she had tried to study, knowing that she had tests coming up and a whole lot of homework to catch up on, but it hadn't taken much more than a minute for her to lose interest and beginning playing games.

"Die... Die die die die die! You die too! And you! All of you die!" She murmured as she pressed away at buttons, shooting imaginary soldiers with her imaginary gun, "Stay out of my country!"
Back to top Go down

The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Katy was taking a stroll through the courtyard when she spotted her energetic friend nearby, stopping in mid-step as she spotted something she could hardly believe she was seeing. Was Melissa actually studying? Deciding to see which subject she was currently working on, and maybe if she could help at all, Katy quietly approached the girl.

Getting close enough to realize she wasn't actually studying, Katy sighed and sat down nearby. "Studying hard, Melissa? Looks like you're really into it, huh?"
Back to top Go down
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Too engrossed in shooting invaders landing in her country to notice how close Katy had gotten, Melissa nodded vigorously, not taking her eyes off the game in front of her, "Yup! I have tests and homework and stuff so I decided I should just suck it up and work hard!" She said, her eyes not even shifting to look at Katy as she spoke.

"Die! I said die!" She said abruptly, looking angrily at the game. Realizing she had just revealed herself, she stuttered to try to cover up for the outburst, "U-Umm.. I-I mean.. Pie! D-Do you have any p-pie? I c-could use a snack!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Katy laughed and shook her head, offering an apologetic shrug. "I never keep food that can go bad on me," she said, with another small chuckle. "But if you want pie you must really be studying hard. It does work up an appetite, after all. Which subject are you on? Maybe I can help?"

Katy scooted closer, careful not to get any grass or dirt stains on her sundress. She was still wearing her hoodie over it, of course, but had decided that maybe she should try out all of her new clothes at least once. Moving with exaggerated slowness, Katy attempted to get a better look at exactly what Melissa was up to.
Back to top Go down
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 12:36 pm

Melissa attempted to get away for a few moments, but gave up when her character died as she was distracted keeping the game from Katy's view. She dropped the book to the ground, revealing the game on top of it.

"Fine... I wasn't studying... I tried but it was too hard! And boring! And confusing! And boring! And did I mention it was really boring?" She said, crossing her legs with a sigh, "I'm just too stupid to study I guess,"

As she looked up at what Katy was wearing, she had to suppress a giggle at how ridiculous it looked, "Umm, nice dress!" She said, barely preventing herself from breaking out into a giggling fit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Katy looked down at herself, frowning. She didn't look that weird, did she? Of course, if she didn't look that bad why had she spent over an hour trying to find some sort of bandanna or hat or something so she wouldn't have needed the hoodie?

"I know, I know. I look really dumb," she said with a shrug. "But I've been giving you studying some serious thought," she said with a smile. "I think I have a solution! It's all about motivation. So, we'll make a game out of it. In my pockets I have an assortment of candy. You hafta read, and do the practice sheets in the book. For every question you get an answer close," she said, producing a normal looking piece of candy from her pocket. "I'll give you a regular old piece of candy. But for every question you get entirely correct," she continued, producing a piece of candy wrapped in very shiny wrapping, "I'll give you a super special piece of candy."

Holding out the two pieces of candy towards the other girl, she cocked an eyebrow. "Whaddya think? You'll hafta study to get the candy, but you'll be getting candy for practically nothing."
Back to top Go down
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 12:54 pm

"Nonono! You don't look dumb at all! You look quite cute actually! I didn't think anyone could pull off wearing a hoodie over a dress but it works on you!" Melissa said quickly, and she was mostly telling the truth as well. The combination would definitely look a lot funnier on other people, though maybe she was biased.

She was about to mention that she already had an entire backpack full of candy with her, but was silenced by the super shiny magic candy. Staring at it with a look of awe and desire, she slowly stretched out her hand towards it, trying to grab it.

"Shiiny candy... So shiny!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Katy blushed faintly from the compliment and let the girl grab the candy, offering a grin. "If you eat that you'll see how amazing it is, and then you're just gonna want more," she warned. "But that's the only one you get without getting questions on the study sheets right."

Katy was sure this'd work! Melissa loved candy, and Katy hadn't been able to think of anything else to motivate the girl with. "I'm willing to help you study too," she said, putting the regular non-shiny piece of candy back in a pocket. "So it isn't like you'll hafta do it on your own. And we can study for as much or as little as you want, but less studying means less chances for the special candy."
Back to top Go down
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Melissa stared at the shiny candy, before expertly unwrapping it, tossing it in her mouth and pocketing the shiny for later. Her eyes lit up as she tasted it - did it taste better because it was super candy or because Katy had given it to her? She blushed mentally as she considered the second option, but she could've sworn she'd had this brand before and it had never tasted as good as it did now. Or maybe it was the shiny wrapper? Regardless, it was good!

"Okay! Study!" She said, picking up the book she had been using before, which appeared to be a history textbook, and began reading it. She read with a look of intense focus for about ten seconds before getting distracted.

"Do you think that guy in the picture liked raisins?" She asked, sounding genuinely curious
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Katy blinked, leaning in to get a better look at the picture. "Um," she replied, blinking again. This may prove harder than just motivational candy. "I'm not sure. Maybe you should check the practice questions for this section and check if that's one of them?" She knew it wouldn't be, but if Melissa read through the questions she might find some of them sticking in her head, and (hopefully) be compelled to find out the answers.

Back to top Go down
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Melissa nodded, that sounded like a good idea. The practice questions always seemed to be infinite, or at least when she was trying to do them, so they should have the question she sought. What was the guys name though? Something along the lines of... Oh well. Not important.

Flipping to the questions, she began to read then allowed, growing more and more confused as she proceeded through the list, "These questions are dumb! They keep spouting gibberish at me! Stupid questions!" She said, referring to the historical figures, events and places. She threw down the 'stupid' book in anger.

"I give up! The book doesn't even make sense!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Katy cocked her head, frowning. The bits she had glanced at seemed fairly straightforward, but then, she had been learning all of it for years. Pulling out another piece of candy, she held it to the girl to cheer her up.

"Maybe another approach would work," she said slowly, thinking. "Melissa, why don't you tell me what's confusing about this, and I'll try and find a way to explain it. Or.. or try and explain why it's important to know at least a little bit of it?"
Back to top Go down
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 7:49 pm

"Well... I don't know what this is, or this. Or this, or this, or this!" She said, continuing to point out more and more historical names, along with some of the longer words. When she was done, at least a quarter of the words on the page had been pointed out. Noticing this, Melissa sighed.

"I'm too stupid to get this... I should just give up on studying!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Katy blinked, then broke out into a grin. "But, Melissa, that's the point of studying. If you knew all the things you just pointed out you wouldn't need to be reading about them, right?" She frowned slightly, deciding to be completely blunt. "It's a little troubling that there's a lot you don't know, but.. um, here, look, I'll give you an example."

Katy scooped the book up, scanning down the page. "See, this guy here, right? This is the first time he's mentioned, right here in this chapter. So you aren't supposed to know him," she said, pointing to a name on the page. She then flipped forward a few pages, and pointed to where the name popped up again. "See, here he is again. If you were just on this random page, it'd be confusing. But since it tells you about him on that other page, you sorta get an idea of who he is."

"Melissa, when was the last time you seriously, um.. studied? Or took a test or anything?"
Back to top Go down
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 8:43 pm

"Umm you mean the last time I studied longer than 5 minutes or passed a test? Good question! That was... Umm... Never, I guess?" She said after thinking for a while, "I always found studying to be boring and useless! I still do actually."

"Sooo you're saying I need to read every word? And then remember ALL the names that were mentioned in it? That's impossible! Let's go out and do something fun instead of wasting time on studying!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Katy opened her mouth to say something, then closed it again, finding herself momentarily at a loss for words. Melissa had never passed even a single test? Or ever studied? "But.. you know how to read, and write, and count and stuff. You must have learned that somewhere."

Katy chewed on her lip. She desperately wanted to get Melissa up to speed, but it seemed like it would take a serious effort. "Melissa, if we're going to catch you up enough that you won't be having trouble, we might have to try and study every night. This stuff seems boring, but a lot of it is very important," she said, frowning slightly. "You're a really good fighter, but some of this stuff could help you be even better, especially when working with other people. There's a lot of tactics and stuff covered in these books, for example, and if you learn those, and what works and what doesn't you'll have a huge advantage in combat."

She seemed a little worried. "What if you decide to try something that doesn't work and you get hurt, but it could have been prevented because you read it in one of these books and knew not to try it?"
Back to top Go down
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 9:17 pm

"Yup! There was a really mean teacher one time that asked my parents to let her bring me back to we place, and then she forced me to study! And I had to do that for the whole year! It was sooo boring!" Melissa said, reminiscing

"Every night? That's no fun though! That sounds really boring actually! Isn't there any easier way to study? Can't I just magically imprint the information into my mind? That would be a great way of studying!" She asked, hopefully.

"Well... I probably would have just done it anyways to see if the book was wrong or not! Depends on how fun the action seemed!" She added cheerfully.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 9:40 pm

Katy continued to chew on her lip, thinking about alternate methods of studying. "There's not really any instant way to do it," she said. "There are other ways to study, though. You could watch movies. You know, documentaries and stuff. You can use flash cards to make a kind of a game out of it, but I've never really liked those."

Katy reached up under her hood and scratched her head, then offered a small shrug. "It doesn't have to be every night," she said, seeking something Melissa might find an acceptable compromise. "Maybe just a few nights a week?"
Back to top Go down
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 9:53 pm

"I still don't get why studying is so important! If I just pass the practical exams ad ignore the written exams I can still pass! Why do I need to know who these silly people are, or how to calculate numbers or silly tactics used by people who are long dead? Wouldn't it be better to just train in that time instead of learning all this useless stuff? The Grimm don't care if I can read..." Melissa said, not understanding.

"But... If you're fine with it I could try to study once a day I guess..." Melissa said finally, "It gets lonely when later in the day when I'm just wasting time in my dorm..." She added in a whisper.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Katy smiled brightly, handing the book back to the other girl. "Of course I'm fine with it," she responded, quite pleased with the compromise. Of course, if she could find a way to make the studying actually work she might slowly try and push the other girl towards studying more.

"I'll be honest, a lot of the stuff in these books isn't important for fighting Grimm," she said, carefully lying on her side, propping herself up on an elbow. "It's more about helping you with lots of other stuff. Like, um," she said, casting about for an example. "Like Faunus. Learning about all the stuff they've been through can help you figure out lots of things, like why some act so skittish, or why there are protests and riots, or why groups like the White Fang became so violent. It's got nothing to do with Grimm, but it's important out in the real world."

She decided to try and clarify even more. "Think about this. Let's say sometime down the road, you graduate based purely on your fighting skill, and you get offered this incredibly well paying job to deal with, say, a group of raiders who keep attacking Dust convoys. Pretty easy choice, right? Raiders are bad, after all."

"But would you take the job if you found out that the people mining the Dust were doing so illegally, destroying the land those 'raiders' were living on? That's the sorta thing you'd be learning about. And it could happen, too. Huntsmen and Huntresses don't just fight Grimm. They gotta protect the peace wherever."
Back to top Go down
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Melissa thought for a few moments, thinking of what she would do on a situation like that. Did she really need to study for something like that, though? She didn't think so.

"I don't think I need to study for something like that though! The better way to learn what to do in situations like that is to simply talk to people! Be social! Learn what other people think, and other Faunus included! Sure, I could just read about it all, but isn't it much more fun to go out into the real world to experience what people think straight from the source?"

"But I never thought of it like that... I was always thinking that I would only be fighting Grimm.., I never considered I might have to fight other people..." Melissa said, finger tapping in thought, "Okay then! Study!"

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Katy offered a sympathetic smile to the girl. "Talking to people works too, some of the time. But I picked that as an example because chances are you wouldn't be able to talk. The people mining the Dust in that example would all tell you about how great they are, and the Faunus in that example wouldn't talk to you at all because you're not one of them," she said.

"That's why I used it as an example. In a situation like that it's better to have at least some knowledge going in, right? And the best way to get that is reading up on it."

Katy flopped to her back, staring up at the sky and yawning. "Being a Huntress isn't all it's cracked up to be," she said suddenly. "Both of my parents are, and you can always tell when they come back from an.. unpleasant job."

"But enough about that. We'll get you caught up, at least a little bit. Even if it winds up I just have to read it all to you or something, y'know?"
Back to top Go down
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 11:06 pm

~2 hours later

Melissa lay sprawled out on the ground, utterly exhausted and spent from studying for so long. She was amazed that she had managed to stay somewhat focused the whole time. She had never been able to focus more than a few minutes on studying, by maybe that was because she had been studying alone all the time, and had no one to stop her from giving up.

"Studying is so boring!" Melissa whined, feeling a headache coming, "How can you stand doing this every day, AND attending class? You must really be smart... Waaaaaaaaay smarter than me at least!"

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 11:24 pm

Katy grinned and offered a small shrug. That had not been quite as difficult as she had imagined. "You know when you go out and fight a bunch of Grimm, and you come back all tired and achey, but then you get a little rest and you feel way better? You keep going that and eventually you can fight even more Grimm, right? That's what studying does for your brain."

"Besides, even if I didn't want to I'd still have to. I'd get in serious trouble with my parents if I stopped going to class."

Katy produced some of the shiny candy and held it out. "Besides, now that you've gotten some studying in you can do whatever you want for the rest of the day, and nobody can say anything about it. None of that 'shouldn't you be studying?' stuff, because you already did."
Back to top Go down
Yuki-Chan

Yuki-Chan

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 11:36 pm

"I'm not sure whether to be envious that you have parents that care how well you do, or happy that I'm not forced to do what my parents want." Melissa said thoughtfully, as she ate the super shiny candy with a happy smile on her face.

"But now that studying is done, we should go do something fun to relax!" Melissa said, trying to think of something fun to do. Her mind briefly considered a certain 'activity', and she frantically fought off a blush, unsure where that thought had come from.

"Ooh! I know! We could do that thing on the roof where I dive bomb people below! You can come along too, if you can hold on well! It's reaaaally fun! I think. I've ever actually tried it, but sounds safe enough!" She said suddenly, coming upon a brilliant idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]   The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Katissa Chronicles Part 4: Books and Headaches (But mostly headaches) [Closed]
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next